Sunday, September 6, 2009

Just walking by...

My birthday was recently. I turned 21. It still feels so fun and exciting to be 21. Every year though, mostly at birthday's and new years I try to make a change in my life. Do something that is going to make my life better, make some big change-- It was recently pointed out to me by a certain someone that I seem to have commitment issues. I'm still trying to decide whether or not that is in fact true-- needless to say my big change was usually old news within the month, thus not being so much of a change. My mom recently told me of a book "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs. A man takes one year to live exactly as the bible says we should. I had also heard of "Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Live as TV's Most Influential Guru Advises" by Robyn Barker. I was on vacation with my mother in Mexico and I sat in our hotel room watching her read this book by A. J. Jacobs and I had to wonder what I could do in one year that would change my life. I let that thought go. I mean after all a year is a BIG COMMITMENT.
I was sitting at my computer this morning, drinking my morning cup of tea. Something did need to change. What about this year need's to be different than last year. Okay, drinking more doesn't count so much as the kind of different I want. I need to be healthier. How can I do this? No soda? No. Cutting back is fine, but sometimes a little caffeine is what keeps me from killing people. No Chocolate? No. I am a girl, and well we all need a little chocolate from time to time. So what then? Run 1 mile everyday. Okay that sounds good. But wait, I get tired alot, and then suddenly I'm out of my pattern. I need to pick something that will be good for me, but won't take too much time or effort.
Then it occured to me. What if I walk so many miles for a year? That sounds easy. I'll get one of those things to count how far I walk. I used to have one, and just walking around I covered about 3.2 miles a day. Okay this could actually work.
I text my external conscience and have her call me at her earliest convenience. She calls me and thinks it's a great idea. But how many miles should I walk? And a whole year? This goes back to the commitment thing. A whole year is a HUGE COMMITMENT on my part. We both settle on a month. I should walk everyday for a month. Then do two months. After hanging up the phone though, even a month seems like a big commitment-- okay maybe I do have some commitment issues-- 1 week. I will commit to walking everyday for 1 week. Nope let's go for a push. 2 weeks. I'm going to talk a certain distance everyday for two weeks. This probably wont start till Wednesday or so, considering I need to figure out how far I'm actually going to walk each day. I'm going to do this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment